Saturday, January 25, 2014

On College.

 I really think that everyone overestimating this whole I-know-what-I-am-doing-with-my-life thing. My little sister is in high school right now and it's CRAZY how much they push college on those kids. It's ridiculous for us to assume that a 16 year old kid is going to know where he wants to go to school, what he wants to do, and apply for colleges.
Being in college for 2+ years has made me realize what a mistake it is for adults to harass children into picking their lifelong career goal. Because of pressure in high school, I chose college early on and signed onto being a teacher for life. Not that it's a bad thing to have aspirations in high school, but when you choose a career based on pressure, you're not rising to your full potential; you're not allowing yourself to grow.
Not to mention, choosing a career so early in life is the reason why college students go back and forth , jumping from major to major. It's so difficult to stick to something because we were never given the chance to explore and take a moment to think about what will make us happy.
Due to ridiculous career tests, nagging high school counselors, and pressure from peers, at 20 years old and in my 3rd year of college, I have no idea what I want to do with my life. And although I've had countless people tell me how hard that is, it's surprisingly refreshing and enjoyable to take time and figure out what exactly my grown up self wants to be. I will no longer rely on the "Top Five Degrees of 2014" articles, I will no longer look at the money value of a degree, and I will no longer listen to people telling me what I would and would not be good at. Happiness is priceless.

1 comment:

  1. I went through this exact same thing. To being a teacher, to being an English Major, to being a Family Life major, and then finally in my junior year...Public Relations. And I am happy. Happy as a bird. You'll find it Talor. You will.

    ReplyDelete